What are Ethereum casinos?
As you would expect from the name, these are casinos that let you gamble with Ethereum. These casinos have become very common largely due to the increased popularity of cryptocurrencies, and there are many reasons to choose Ethereum casinos over ‘regular’ casino sites. We’ll take you through how they work and the different options available.
How do Ethereum casino sites work?
There are two types of Ethereum online casinos: those that accept ether as a payment method, and platforms that run their games through ‘smart contracts’ on the Ethereum network.
Regular casino sites that accept ether as a payment method are currently much more widespread, so they’re what we will focus on here. They work exactly like a usual casino site would: all you need to do is create an account with the platform, transfer your ether, and begin playing your favourite games.
Casino sites that utilise Ethereum smart contracts are something to watch out for in the future. ‘Smart contracts’ are pieces of code on the Ethereum blockchain able to handle transactions automatically. The code that runs a casino game can be written as a smart contract to make betting easier and payouts faster. During a casino game the smart contract holds all bets in escrow, allowing users to stake ether directly from their wallets (and receive winnings instantly) while playing their favourite casino games.
Right now, the technology behind casino smart contracts are still being developed, so be sure to bookmark this page as we will update you will the latest information regarding smart contracts when it becomes available. For now, Ethereum casino gambling is mostly conducted within regular casino gambling sites.
What games can I play in Ethereum casinos?
Ethereum casinos allow you to play almost any game you can imagine, and even some that are unique to cryptocurrency gambling. Here’s a quick summary of what you’ll find:
- Casino classics. These are the common casino games that most sites feature, which include: blackjack, big six wheel, roulette, craps, keno, and faro, among many others.
- Slots. Many different slot machines are available in Ethereum casinos. These include 3D lots, progressive slots, single coin, video slots, wild play, and multipliers.
- Poker. There are also many different poker tables you can enter and play in using ether. with Ethereum. You can play pai gow poker, Caribbean stud poker, Texas hold’em and many others. We have a page dedicated specifically to playing poker with your ether if you’re interested in learning more.
- Lottery. These are not often offered on regular casino sites, but popular very with those that support Ethereum. You can access a wide range of lottery-based games on various casinos.
- Satoshi/Ethereum dice. This is an Ethereum/cryptocurrency specific game and works like this: a number between 0 and 65,535 is randomly generated, and you are required to bet on whether you think it will be higher or lower than the one you selected before the ‘roll’.
- Faucet games. Faucets are games that let you win small amounts of free ether by simply completing simple tasks such as entering a captcha code. You can then use the free ether to test out playing your favourite games before you make your own deposit.
Find Ethereum casino bonus codes and free bets
It’s common for most Ethereum casinos to offer unique bonuses, from deposit matching at a higher rate than regular sites (usually between 50% and 200%) to providing free spins/bets. To find site-specific offers, be sure to have a look at our in-depth reviews of individual casinos.
Is depositing and withdrawing faster with Ethereum casino sites?
Yes. Improved transaction speeds in comparison to fiat currency deposits and withdrawals are one of the main advantages of gambling in Ethereum casinos. Transactions are almost instant because they don’t go through an intermediary (such as a bank) as is the case with ‘normal’ transactions. Further, if you are using a smart contract to gamble, funds will be deposited right back to your wallet.
Are there limits on Ethereum casino sites?
Some Ethereum casino sites have betting limits, and others don’t. However, usually there will be a range of different limits for separate casino games, or casinos. These include:
- Betting limits. Generally, betting limits will go up to 25 ether per transaction, although some sites might not set betting limits at all, and limits can be very different between different games.
- Deposit limits. Most online Ethereum casinos usually don’t set maximum deposit limits, and minimum deposit limits are usually extremely negligible. A common minimum limit is around 0.01 ether.
- Withdrawal limits. Different Ethereum casino sites will allow you to withdraw different amounts per transaction or per day. Most sites don’t actually set withdrawal limits, but of those that do, you’ll typically find a withdrawal limit of £1000 worth of ether per transaction.
What are the transaction fees?
Usually, there are no transaction fees for using an Ethereum casino. However, you’ll usually still have to pay the Ethereum network transaction fees known as ‘gas’ when depositing or withdrawing ether into your account, which should typically be under £1 worth of ether.
Are Ethereum casinos available on my phone?
Yes, Ethereum online casinos usually have sites designed to work well on mobile browsers, but there are very few Ethereum casinos that have dedicated mobile apps.
Are Ethereum casinos legal?
This depends on where you are located. In the UK, gambling with digital currencies such as Ethereum is completely legal. However, only casinos that hold a license by the UKGC (UK Gambling Commission) are permitted to provide Ethereum casino games to UK customers. Our reviews will explain the regulatory status of all our recommended Ethereum casino providers.
If you are not based in the UK, be sure to check with your local legislation to ensure that you are being compliant with the law.
How do I know they’re not rigged?
You can actually easily verify this yourself. Ethereum casinos can prove the fairness of their games by incorporating a concept known as ‘provably fair.’ Users are able, quickly and easily, to check the algorithm generated by the game so you can know that it hasn’t been interfered with and the game isn’t rigged.
How do CryptoSuper.market’s reviews work?
Great question. Our team of crypto experts diligently researches both existing and new Ethereum casino sites to find the best. When reviewing each platform, we focus on: user experience, value for money, range of games, and security.
What are the risks of betting with an Ethereum casino?
Honestly, there are very few, but they include:
Fluctuations in price. The changing price of ether could mean you’re potentially gambling with more than you want to – but if you don’t intend on exchanging your ether for fiat currency this will not be important to you.
Disingenuous sites. Just like regular betting sites, you may be gambling on a website or casino that runs disingenuous algorithms, which could be designed to benefit the service provider in an illegitimate way.
Ultimately, be sure to look at our reviews, as we will only provide you with secure and trusted sites.
And what are the advantages?
There are multiple advantages of gambling with ether, which include:
- Anonymity. Gambling with ether gives you the opportunity to gamble anonymously. With Ethereum, you can often gamble online without having to submit your personal information to a site. If a site requires you to register for an account, then you will usually only have to provide an email address, so it’s much more anonymous than ‘regular’ casino sites which you fund from your bank account.
- Lower transaction fees. Because you don’t have to deposit into Ethereum casinos from your bank account, but directly from your ether wallet, there tend to be no fees whatsoever. You will have to pay the ‘gas’ fees for using the Ethereum blockchain, but these are very low and are not connected to the site you’re using.
- Faster transaction speeds. The Ethereum blockchain verifies transactions very quickly, and usually instantly. This means you’ll typically have no delay between depositing ether and being able to gamble on your chosen casino site.
- Access to games specific to cryptocurrency. Ethereum casinos allow you to play many games you can’t find on ‘normal’ gambling sites. These include many different dice and bingo games.
Should I bet with ether on a casino site?
Frankly, it’s up to you. If you want to play casino games with anonymity, and better transaction speeds and feeds, then betting with ether on a casino site could be a great option for you.
How do I get started?
It’s simple. Take a look at our selection of sites and reviews to find the right casino for your needs.